Thursday, December 30, 2010

Net Ping

This is my first actual Android app. I'm the learn-by-doing sort, so here goes.

The reason I'm writing it is because it's simple, and I didn't like the variants available in the Android Market when I needed a ping app. Mostly, I didn't think a Ping app should cost money, and I don't want to look at advertisements when trying to ping a server.

I just want everything for free, now don't I?

What Net Ping does:

It pings a network host directly from your Android device, using ICMP Echo packets. and measures response time.

I only show the information I typically look at when performing a basic ping from a console application.

* The IP address of the host name.
* The round-trip response time for the ping packets.
* Indication if any packets are lost.


I added a little warning message that appears when Android loses network connectivity. You can see it in a screen shot, below.

More complicated network analysis is probably beyond the scope of what I'd want to do with my Android phone and ping. I'll leave that for possible future enhancements.

Screen Shots

No comments:

Post a Comment